July Chart: Dom

It's been relatively boring for Chris and I since Exit. We've spent most of our time consciously avoiding even the most reasonable expenses in anticipation of a new and exciting start to our second year at university (I can't quite believe how quickly a year has passed, for I still vividly remember posting just before I began my first year). Our belt-tightening has led to depressing and at times shameful measures like nursing a single pint in a pub for about three hours, or even making do with 70 pence lime and sodas, a fee even then I regret paying. Despite our determination to cut back at all costs, we were summoned back to London right at the end of March for fabric's first extended party of the year. By 'extended' we mean it will finish sometime after 2pm when fabric are behind the operation, and so it did. Fashionably late, Ricardo Villalobos graced the decks just after 10am, proving why he is still the king of Room One amidst an uprising of skepticism since his controversial antics at the club in March. More on that, along with the final chapter of Exit to come, but just before I nip off for a brief retreat to the south coast with the family I've managed to finalize my July chart. Chris is still yet to update his since May, resulting in Lee Cutiss's 'Candy' still proclaimed as his number two choice for the last month, but I'm sure he will be back with a treasure trove of unreleased, foraged house gems very soon. What I have been listening to over the last month has been dramatically varied as I'm sure you've already observed. Some old, some new, some very old, in particular Derrick May's late 80's detroit classic, The Dance has almost been on repeat of late, ever since I finally managed to hunt down what that vintage house groove Craig Richards so often slips in to his sets is. John Digweed's latest Bedrock compilation, Structures Two is riddled with both the finest progressive house cuts and ambient offshoots, but for me Robert Babicz's contribution is the most profound, and something I'm dying to one day finish a set with. One of house music's most exciting producers, David August, is once again making DJ's lives a lot easier with his magical beat-making formula demonstrated in Music Is The Place To Be, while another producer I've long had my eye on, Arne Weinberg, has had me in awe of his delicate, atmospheric fusion of post-modernistic minimal techno and surging house music with Eclipse. But without any real contest, topping July's chart for me (and probably Chris) is Oni Ayhun's OAR003-B. Although I was initially unaware of Oni Ayhun's true identity, I felt foolish that I never instantly pinned down some kind of connection to The Knife. Oni Ayhun is of course, Olof Dreijer, one half of Swedish electronic duo The Knife and brother to Karen Dreijer aka. Fever Ray, the other half. I feel foolish because OAR003-B has The Knife's DNA embedded in every single bar. As well as technical similarities, it is subjectively beautiful, fresh, unpolluted electronic bliss and irrefutably Scandanavian. It helps beg the question why we all don't pack our bags and head for Stockholm. Unfortunately, Ikea Wembley in search for a full-length mirror for my new flat will have to do for me...

1. Oni Ayhun - OAR003-B


2. Robert Babicz - Pink Trees (On The Couch Journey Mix)


3. Arne Weinberg - Eclipse


4. David August - Music Is The Place To Be



5. Craig Bratley - Birdshell (6th Borough Project vs. Russ Yallop Dancefloor Edit)


6. Derrick May - The Dance


7. Radiohead - Little By Little (Caribou Mix)



8. Waifs & Strays - Yeah Yeah



9. Ethyl & Huxley - Reflextions (Aybee Mix)



10. James Teej - Daytime Ringer


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top