Let's Groove!



University. 8 Hours of lectures a week and very fast internet connection in my room. What better way is there to delay doing any reading and generally procrastinate than just go looking for music? I have more listening time than ever before and now the convenience of beautiful lightning fast downloading speeds. The result is that since I've been here, which now approaches approximately two months, I have acquired, well, a helluva lot of music and more than I could ever attempt to share (unless you're in my halls that is where you can access my entire library). But I am going to share some of the stand-out records I've encountered. They are quite eclectic, but most vaguely fit into the tech house category I suppose. Unfortunately none are the track featured in the video above- a tortuously elusive little groove from Luciano's set at fabric's birthday weekend. I'm still looking for it, so help a brother out if you have any idea what it is.

A delicious tribal-flavoured remix of Ron Costa's Saltimb, taken from his recently released EP. Deliriously groovy bassline and some bizarre little flute breaks make this a real treat.

Ron Costa - Saltimb (Luca Albano Remix)


Now we've known about Cocoon's Egbert for some time, but productions like Vreugdevuur have led us to perceive him as merely a tech house wizard. Open has made me totally revise this assumption. It's a MASSIVE techno bomb for MASSIVE rooms. The first drop almost blew me off my chair. I dream of hearing this on a big soundsystem and maybe when Sven Väth cruises down to fabric in a few weeks he will make that dream come true?

Egbert - Open (Original Mix)


Spaniard producer Maetrik (who's performing live at fabric tonight) has teamed up with Kule Runner to make this snappy, shadowy minimal tripper. I really like the progression in this, it's patient, sexy and really quite heavy.

Maetrik & Kule Runner - Snorkel


Gavin Herilhy is no stranger, and again he demonstrates why he's so respected right now with this more brilliant techno vibes. Expect to hear this out a lot.

Gavin Herilhy - Stand For Something


Techno master Loco Dice doesn't disappoint with his freshly unleashed Got Leaks In The Roof. As always with Dice, there's the usual thumping minimal bassline and gentle synth patterns delicately layered, making this naturally a simply massive tune.

Loco Dice - Got Leaks In The Roof


My general teeming subconscious ear for tunes Craig Richards may have dropped in his sets does occasionally give me some real delight. I remember Jacek Seinkiewicz's Who Told You That? It was just so ridiculously head-y I couldn't exactly forget it. I fully confess that I get off on this breed of minimal.

Jacek Sienkiewicz - Who Told You That?


Slightly more downtempo, Pulshar's California State of Mind is an elegant composition of gentler house beats and emotive vocals, but the real pleasure comes from the surprising Balearic-style synth stabs that pierce the melodic structure of the tune.

Pulshar - California State of Mind


Matthias Meyer's Miss Apre Gate EP is a glorious little three-track collection of simply groovy tech house. The Rear Window is the pick of the bunch though, a divine amalgamation of sounds and sonics that compliment the bassline delightfully.

Matthias Meyer - The Rear Window


Steve Lawler's Gimme Some More will undoubtedly be rumbling some dancefloors underground- a relentless, pounding house banger with some catchy vocals thrown in. Guess what they say?

Steve Lawler - Gimme Some More


Raw As Fuck. Any electronic track titled this has got to deliver and fortunately Marcello Napoletano has delivered. It sounds minimal, but the 'raw' synth pattern gives it some added bite which is very satisfying.

Marcello Napoletano - Raw As Fuck


Dani Sbert will certainly keep the groove flowing seamlessly with this rapid techno hit.

Dani Sbert - Baphomet


The return of Jacuzzi Boys! And don't we just love their groovy latin tech house. Matthias Mesteno's remix of Bocadillos is just amazing. The shadowy vocal hook is gloriously hazy and, the bassline is heavy, progressive and typically compelling- little trumpet samples keep that fun side we expect of the boys.

Jacuzzi Boys - Bocadillos (Matthias Mesteno Remix)


Lastly, one of the heaviest, most addictive and simply brilliant dancefloor bombs I've ever heard. I had heard it knocking round in Craig Richards' sets for a while and heard it twice at fabric's birthday. It's the Kink remix of Marc Romboy and Blake Baxter's Muzik, which I have mentioned recently. This rather large installment of tracks is, as I said a collection of the best tunes I've acquired over the last couple of months, and this I would have to say is my favourite of them all. If you're DJing, I suggest you use this at some point, depending on the crowd of course, it's guaranteed a hefty reception.

Marc Romboy & Blake Baxter - Muzik (Kink Remix)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top